Thursday, October 9, 2008

What is this blog?

This blog is the honest ramblings of a mouthy expat working mother in Japan. It is inspired by the emotionally honest blogs that drew me into the blogging world, like A Little Pregnant, Uppercase Woman and other infertility blogs, as well as feminist and political blogs that inspire me. I hope to blog about news in Japan, from the absurd things that make up an anime geek's wet dreams, to the politics that shapes my world. As an added treat: lots of dirty posts and filthy language.

What this blog isn't
It's not a travel blog. I will give recommendations if you request them, but I am not a tourist in Japan. Living somewhere for more than a decade pretty much means that the wide-eyed newbie who loves the magic of temples and pottery shops is gone and replaced with someone who is more likely to point out the motorcycle gang hangouts and most obnoxiously neoned pachinko parlors than a place to buy postcards.
This is not a blog for my grandma and grandpa at home who want to see pictures of their great-grandchildren. Mostly because I no longer have any grandparents left, but also because those are the blogs which are not emotionally honest. You, dear reader, are just as anonymous to me as I am to you.
This is not a blog where I will complain about my spouse. To me, those are the worst blogs in the world. Possibly because I married the world's best man, but I would be unbelievably pissed off if I found out he was complaining about my cooking or the way I fold clothes or pretty much anything else about me on the internet. So I won't do it to him.
This is not a food blog either. If you want Japanese recipes, try OishiiOishii. If you want bento tips (other than get your child into a daycare or kindergarten where they are not required), try Lunch in a Box.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"because those are the blogs which are not emotionally honest."

Thank you. I have this problem with almost every single blog coming out of this country, they all seem to lack sincerity.

You've just earned a spot on my blogroll!

Which isn't a big deal, but we can pretend :-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I liked your mission statement, which sort of gels with mine. ("This is is not my voyage of self-discovery. There will be no gushings about geisha and cherry blossom viewings (which, really, are sort of weird and full of loud drunkards, respectively). Instead, it will be about practical life in Japan.")

Glad to have another long-time resident to provide a counterpoint to the "Hi, I'm Steve, these are my 1.5 kids, and I'll be teaching English in Exotic Japan for a WHOLE YEAR!!"-type blogs. Hope to see you around.